How and where to apply for a Russian visa
All EU citizens-holders of travel or service passports in order to visit the Russian Federation need a Russian visa. Russian visas are never issued on arrival at Russian airports, they must be obtained before traveling to Russia.
There are four places in the Netherlands where you may apply for a Russian visa:
1. The Consular section of the Russian Embassy (Scheveningseweg 2, 2517 KT Den Haag, map):
- to apply for a visa - only prior to an appointment on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 10.00 till 11.00, the applicant must be present in person;
- to pick up a passport - without an appointment on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 11.00 till 12.00, the applicant must be present in person with the payment receipt;
2. The Russian visa application centre, office in the Hague (Parkstraat 99, 2514 JH, Den Haag, 2nd floor, map):
- to apply for a visa - prior to an appointment or without an appointment any working day from 9.00 till 14.00, the applicant must be present in person, read more;
- to pick up a passport - without an appointment any working day from 14.00 till 16.00;
3. The Russian visa application centre, office in Rotterdam (Stationsplein 45, 3013 AK Rotterdam, 4th Floor, Office “CIC Rotterdam” in Groot Handelsgebouw next to Rotterdam Central Station, map):
4. The Russian visa application centre, office in Amsterdam (Amsterdam Sloterdijk Teleport Towers, Kingsfordweg 151, 1043 GR Amsterdam, map):
Important ! If there are no available appointments in the Consular section of the Russian Embassy for the dates wished by a candidate for a visa the documents are to be submitted ONLY to the Russian visa application centre. Even if the documents have been submitted to the Visa application centre, the visas are anyway issued (printed) by the Russian consulate in the Hague.
In order to increase quality of service for persons applying for a visa to enter the Russian Federation, the Embassy of Russia has outsourced its visa functions to the Russian Visa Centre VFS operating in the Hague (from January 16, 2017), and in its offices in Rotterdam (from May 1, 2019) and Amsterdam (from September 2, 2019).
The objectives of the Visa Centre are to accelerate and simplify the procedure for obtaining a visa, create the most comfortable conditions for applicants, explain to them the rules of entry and stay in Russia, check the completeness of documents that are the basis for granting a visa, and represent the interests of applicants at the consulate while submitting (collecting) documents on their behalf.
The decision to grant or refuse to grant a visa, as well as the issuance of the visa itself to foreign citizens outside of Russia, remains a prerogative of the Russian consular authorities.
Very mportant ! The previous Russian visa center VHS located at Zeestraat 100, 2518 AD Den Haag, since January 16, 2017, has no status of the official Russian Visa Center and is not authorised to accept and process the documents for a visa on behalf of the Embassy of the Russian Federation in the Netherlands. Everybody is kindly requested to apply only the the official Visa Application Center.
The possibility to apply for a visa directly through the Russian consulate remains as usual. In order to use it, the applicant has to make an electronic appointment on the website of the Russian Embassy.
Very important ! In case if a direct appointment in the Russian consulate has been made but the plans of an applicant were changed, please, inform the Consular section about it by phone (+31 (0) 70 364 64 73) or by fax (+31 (0) 70 365 86 34), or by e-mail (email@example.com), or by post (Scheveningseweg 2, 2517 KT Den Haag). Thank you for understanding!
In order to avoid fraudulent incidents with the appointment system, the consulate will accept documents only from those persons whose personal details were entered into the system upon registration of the application. In case of discrepancies between the information in the system and the personal details of the applicant, whose documents are submitted to the consulate, they will not be accepted for consideration. Booking one time slot in the system allows for submitting only one set of documents.
The following categories of foreign citizens may apply for a visa directly to the Consular section of the Russian Embassy in the Netherlands, without an appointment:
1. Employees of ministries and other governmental bodies of the Kingdom of the Netherlands – for official trips (documents are to be submitted by applicants themselves or by the official courier of a ministry or other departments);
2. Holders of diplomatic or service passports of diplomatic or consular missions of foreign countries accredited to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands, as well as employees of international organizations with the headquarters in the Netherlands - for official trips (documents are to be submitted by applicants themselves or by the official courier of a diplomatic or consular mission or an international organization);
3. Guests of stuff members of the Embassy of the Netherlands in Moscow or of the Consulate General of the Netherlands in Saint-Petersburg;
4. Foreign citizens or stateless persons in case of urgent trip to the Russian Federation linked with the death or serious illness of a close relative.
All other categories of foreign citizens have to make appointments to apply for a Russian visa directly in the Consular section of the Russian Embassy OR (if there are no available dates) to apply the Visa application centre.
Very important for visa applications directly in the Consular section of the Russian Embassy ! A foreign citizen or a stateless person (who does not have the Russian citizenship) must be present in the Consular section in person. Applications on behalf of a third person (even with the power of attorney) are not accepted.
Very important for visa applications in the Russian visa centre in the Hague ! A foreign citizen or a stateless person (who does not have the Russian citizenship) may visit the Visa centre or by him(her)self or empower a third person for this mission. To apply for a visa on behalf of the passport holder a hand-written (on the copy of the passport) power of attorney from the latter will be required.
The Visa application Centre charges for its services a visa fee, which consists of:
- service fee charged by the Visa center for the preparation of documents and arranging of a Russian visa: 30 euros (for one visa file);
- consular fee, which are subject to crediting to the Embassy’s account for issuing a visa. The amount of the consular fee for citizens of the European Union is established in the Agreement between the Russian Federation and the European Community on the facilitation of the issuance of visas to citizens of the Russian Federation and the European Union dated June 01, 2007 and is 35 euros (standard procedure) or 70 euros (urgent procedure) for each visa. These tariffs do not apply to the issuance of work, study visas, and visas for the purpose of obtaining a temporary residence permit or asylum.
Citizens of non-EU countries can get the information about their visa fees amounts here.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION !
1. Companies and organizations (including travel agencies) that provide intermediary services in obtaining Russian visas for their clients (regardless of the purpose of their trip to Russia) must apply for a Russian visas only in the Visa application centre.
2. Citizens of the Russian Federation who also have citizenship of a foreign state, in accordance with current Russian law, are considered only as Russian citizens and are obliged to enter Russia only with valid identity documents of a citizen of the Russian Federation (a Russian travel passport or a laissez-passer). The issuance of Russian visas to their foreign passports will be denied.
3. From January 13, 2014, in order to apply for a Russian visa, only an electronic visa application form has to be filled in. Handwritten applications are not accepted.
4. Attention ! Very important ! In the case of submission of documents directly to the Consular section of the Russian Embassy (prior to an appointment), when filling in a visa application form, the “Embassy of the Russian Federation in Netherlands” has to be selected as a place where the applicant plans to get his (her) Russian visa. If a “Visa application Centre (Hague)” has been selected, the applicant would be denied to apply to the Consular section and recommended to submit the visa file only to the Russian visa application Centre.
Foreign citizens and stateless persons can verify that they have grounds for prohibiting entry into the territory of the Russian Federation. To make a request on the website of the General Migration Unit of the Ministry of the Interior of Russia, click here.
1. The Consular section is authorized to give visas only for the Russian Federation.
2. The Consular section does not accept any visa documents send by post and never sends passports with visas by post.
3. Citizens of all EU countries are authorized to apply for Russian visas in the Hague without additional requirements (the list of documents is the same for all EU citizens). The residence permit in the Netherlands or any other proof of their stay in the Netherlands is not required.
4. Citizens of non-EU countries willing to apply for a Russian visa in the Netherlands will be required to provide a residence permit.
5. The visa application is to be introduced not later than 8 calendar days and not earlier than 3 months before the trip to the Russian Federation.
6. All payments in the Consular section must be done only by bank cards. Cash money and other means of payment are not accepted.
7. The fee paid for a visa is not refundable.
8. When obtaining a passport with a visa, we recommend that you carefully check the personal data specified in the visa.
9. Correction of visa mistakes made through a fault of the candidate for a visa can be made only at his own expense.
10. The Consular section is authorized to refuse to issue any visa without explaining the reasons of the refusal.
11. VERY IMPORTANT ! The visa procedure that is underway in the Russian consulate may be cancelled (stopped) by the applicant. For that the candidate for a visa has to apply with a written statement to the organisation where he has submitted his/her visa documents. All paid fees in that case are not refundable. The passport without a visa will be returned to its holder not earlier than after 2-3 working days.
11. VERY IMPORTANT ! ARE YOU BANNED TO ENTER THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION?
In case of non-payment in due time by a foreign citizen during his/her stay in the Russian Federation of customs duties and taxes, including the cases of temporary import of vehicles for personal use into the customs territory of the Eurasian Economic Union, the competent authorities of the Russian Federation may take a decision to prohibit the entry of such foreign citizen to the Russian Federation.
The Federal Customs Service of the Russian Federation has launched an information service that allows online checking of the presence of arrears of customs payments and decisions made by the customs authorities to ban entry into the Russian Federation. To start verification, please follow the link.
TO PROCEED, WE RECOMMEND YOU TO OPEN THE KIND OF THE RUSSIAN VISA YOU WANT (ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THIS PAGE) AND GET INFORMED ON CURRENT LEGAL REQUIREMENTS AND PROCEDURES.
The Consular section recommends you to read the information about the Immigration card.